Sunday, January 30, 2011

Class week 1

To set the ground work for my train of thoughts I will describe myself as I see it.  I am not much taller than 5 foot, fairly quiet, and not the usual girl stereotype.  I hunt, ride four wheelers, and love being outdoors.  I am very comfortable with who I am but have come to realize society is not as comfortable.  We talked about stereotypes and acceptance at one point during our class.  Although I have most of the qualities of the stereotypical West Virginia girl I still have all my teeth and wear shoes.  The snide remarks by people who come from bigger cities has always bothered me and our discussion in class reminded me of my trip to New York and the people my family and I met.  They were rude and blunt about where we came from and the fact that I was a girl and wore camo was not acceptable to them.  There are certain times when wearing a dress is appropriate but I still fail to see the problem in going to the grocery store in sweat pants!  Another topic we talked about was males gaining more power in the business world and taller people being thought of as having more responsibility.  Well I'm just glad I don't want to work in a corporate business or own my own.  I don't think I'd be taken very seriously at all.  I work in a pharmacy now and I swear some people walk in and think its "take your child to work day" until I start talking and they realize I DO know what I'm doing.  I can tell this class is going to bring out a lot of sexist and discriminatory issues and I can't wait to hear others views on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment