Monday, April 25, 2011
Bamboozled
The movie wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, although it was really long. I wouldn't have picked it to watch but all in all it was a decent movie. I didn't feel it was very offensive but I could definitely see how the jokes would be to some people. The watermelon thing was hilarious to me but I know some people who wouldn't think that was funny at all. I think it is the kind of thing where the movie didn't make fun of anything about me so it wasn't bothersome to me. But say if it had been about West Virginia I would probably be somewhat offended at what they would depict as our norm. It would still be funny but it would also irritate me that we would be thought of how most people picture West Virginians. Mantan was a bum off the streets, living in an abandoned building, performing on the street for money. His friend was like a manager to him; he got the crowd interested and collected the money. If they had been in a studio with fancy clothes then nobody would have thought anything less of them than respectable artists and men. It is weird how much emphasis we put on jobs, race, class, and education. I, myself, did it and still catch myself doing it even though I know that just because someone doesn't wear the most expensive clothes or have a college degree, they can still be the best people in your life or the smartest and most genuine person you know.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment